Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DAY 14: I'm Thirsty

Water is something we often take for granted.  When water delivery systems work well, we turn on the faucet and it flows out!  But what would you do if that water stopped flowing?  How much do you have on hand and how long could you make it on the water you have nearby?
DAY 14 ACTIVITY:  Similar to the food task earlier in this competition, evaluate the water that you have stored in your homes.  Since FEMA recommends 1 gallon per person, per day.....do the math and let us know how long you & those you live with would make it at that burn rate

For an EXTRA CREDIT POINT:
Share with us how you store your water. 

PROOF: Fill us in on how long you estimate you'd have water in an emergency.
  • Leave a comment with your answer in it on this blog post
  • Put your answer on the CRESA Facebook Fan Page or tag CRESA in a note, if you are recording your activities on your own page.
  • Provide the answer on Twitter (please include @CRESA or hashtag #30days30ways in your tweets)
  • If you are uncomfortable sharing this information online, you may email your answer to: cheryl.bledsoe@clark.wa.gov
For the #30Days30Ways rules, check out the starting post: http://cresa911.blogspot.com/2010/08/30-days-30-ways-preparedness-challenge.html

Answers may be submitted on all tasks anytime between now and midnight on 9/30/10.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe my wife and I can last one day, considering our holding tanks, are one gallon commodes.

Unknown said...

I store 20 gallons of water and change it out every six months. We also have the water that would be in the hot water heater, I am not sure how many gallons that is. We would need enough for my husband, myself and our animals, so we would be ok for probably two weeks. If we had enough advance notice I would fill the sinks and bathtubs as well.

:p said...

I am only one person. I tend to live at my office, note the time of this comment and how I am still at the office. At home I have two 2.5 gallon water containers I use for camping filled with water. I rotate them every two months or more in the camping season. I also have various left over cases of water bottles from meetings. But, since I am not home often, the 24000 gallons of drinking water in the securely fastened tank in the secure mechanical area at work should be enough for me and a couple of colleagues. That tank is used daily.

:p said...

Oh yah.. I forgot to mention the cases of coca cola I have. In a disaster... couldn't live without it.