As a lifelong Pacific Northwestern-er I have endured many "web foot" jokes and inquires on how I could enjoy living in such a grey and dreary place. It is no accident that the TV show Grim chose Portland as it's backdrop, /grim/ adjective: forbidding or uninviting. If you were to visit this region on a random day in late November you may wonder what all of the hype is about. You would most likely be met by a constant drizzle, aka light rain and cool temperatures. If you are planning to visit the area within the next week you will understand why we welcome the spring sun so enthusiastically.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but as an Emergency Manager it is my responsibility to say "Have fun in the sun, but..." As you rush out the door take precautions to protect yourselves from some of the hazards often associated with warm spring weather. I'm not telling you not to go enjoy the sun, but just take a monument to ensure you do it safely.
Keep the Cars Cool
Warning, The Water You Are About to Enjoy Is Cold
- Always wear a personal flotation device
- Test water temperature before taking the "leap of faith"
- Closely monitor children, form a "buddy system"
- Drink alcoholic beverages responsibly
- Beware of rocks just below the water's surface
- Apply ample sunscreen often