Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Have You found a New Home?

Recently I moved into a new home here in the Vancouver area.  As the move date got closer, not only did I have a growing pile of boxes sitting throughout my current townhouse, I had an ever growing list of places I needed to call or go online and to officially change my address.


  • Utilities
  • Water and Sewer
  • Waste Pick up
  • Internet
  • Cable TV
  • Insurance
  • Phone
  • Updating Bank Accounts
  • The Postal Service


It seemed like every time I thought about it, I would think of another service where I needed to notify someone of my new address.  It is easy to overlook something when you move, and for the most part it can be easy to remedy once it crosses your mind.

But what if once you move, you need assistance?  Over 65% of all calls coming into the 9-1-1 Dispatch center from Cell Phones, and dispatcher's estimate that about 20% of the time the address listed within the system doesn't match that of what the caller states.  This is another reason why a dispatcher will ask you to confirm the address you are at.

I like many, no longer have a conventional home phone.  I use either my cell phone as my home phone or a Voice Over Internet Phone (VOIP) as my main phone.  Using these instead of a conventional land line do not share your location when you call 9-1-1.   The use of a "Location Capable Phone" does not ensure your location is known accurately.  Some cell phone service providers do not provide this service. This is one of the reasons it is so important for you to register your cell phone and it is just as important to update that information when and if you move.




If you have recently moved, or have a scheduled move coming up here in the near future, please make sure you add updating your address in the Cell Phone/VOIP 9-1-1 registry for Clark County, and Happy Moving!

No comments: