Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 21: Is Your Kitchen EQ Ready?

Harry S. Truman once said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."  But today, we want you to get into your kitchen and assess your readiness to face an earthquake. 

Most people don't realize they are most likely to be injured by falling debris during an earthquake.  And because this is true, kitchens can be a very dangerous place to be during an earthquake because many kitchen cabinets will fly open without much resistance and glass will be broken all over the floor. 

DAY 21 ACTIVITY:  You will earn up to 3 points for the following activities
  • Take a look at your kitchen cabinets and evaluate whether or not they might be susceptible to opening during an earthquake shaking event for 1 point.
  • If your cabinets are already secure, you will earn another +2 points
  • If you cabinets are not secure, but you commit to improving this situation, you will also be awarded +2
PROOF:  Report your answers in the following ways....
  • Leave a comment with your answer in it on this blog post.
  • You can put your answer on the CRESA Facebook Fan Page or tag CRESA in a note, if you are recording your activities on your own page.
  • You can post the answers on Twitter (please include @CRESA or hashtag #30days30ways in your tweets)
  • If you are uncomfortable sharing this information online, you may email your answer to: cheryl.bledsoe@clark.wa.gov
For the #30Days30Ways rules, check out the starting post: http://cresa911.blogspot.com/2010/08/30-days-30-ways-preparedness-challenge.html

Answers may be submitted on all tasks anytime between now and midnight on 9/30/10.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I dont really think my cabinets are secure and I will be looking into how to get that taken care of.

Unknown said...

My cabinets are not secure at all. I live in a very old house with very old cabinets. However, I have a cat the opens the cabinets and knocks things out onto the floor so there are no glass items that will fall on the floor! I will, however, look into securing them as there are other heavy items in the cabinets that cause injury.

Dale Chumbley said...

Thanks to my lovely little kittens I will be receiving three points today. ;?) Darn things like to open cabinets so I've installed magnetic latches on every one of our cabinets to keep the creatures out (and the dishes in).

:p said...

My cabinets are secure to a point. They have a pretty good closing mechanism, but I am sure when it is really shaking, it will open. The latches are a grasping magnetic piece that you can feel grab at the last bit of closing the door. All my heavy stuff is in the lower cabinets. If the upper ones open, there would be a lot of cereal on the floor. I am ok with that possibility, but the painting above my bed are secure.