Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 13: Trained to Help?

First Aid and CPR classes offer valuable skills to be able to truly assist your friends, neighbors and those around you in times of crisis. 

While traditional classroom offerings are available in both SW Washington and Portland, you can now take courses online with a brief appointment to demonstrate the physical skills.  This gives everyone with an internet connection an easy way to get trained. 

DAY 13 ACTIVITY:  Today, you can earn points in 3 ways. 
  • You'll receive a +1 if you have ever taken a First Aid/CPR course (even if you are currently expired). 
  • If your card is active (not expired) or you commit to updating your First Aid/CPR card, you'll receive 2 additional points. 
  • If you can convince 8 or more of your friends, family, employees, neighbors or office mates to get trained (meaning that you schedule an "organizational" training with the Red Cross, you'll receive 3 additional points (for a total of 6 points).  For the highest level of points, you only need to schedule the class in September, the actual class itself may occur later in the year.    
PROOF:   Fill us in on whether you are trained to help others (or if you'll take action to do so this year!)
  • Leave a comment with your answer in it on this blog post
  • Put your answer on the CRESA Facebook Fan Page or tag CRESA in a note, if you are recording your activities on your own page.
  • Provide the answer on Twitter (please include @CRESA or hashtag #30days30ways in your tweets)
  • If you are uncomfortable sharing this information online, you may email your answer to: cheryl.bledsoe@clark.wa.gov
For the #30Days30Ways rules, check out this blog post: http://cresa911.blogspot.com/2010/08/30-days-30-ways-preparedness-challenge.html

Answers may be submitted on all tasks anytime between now and midnight on 9/30/10.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I have an updated CPR/First Aid card. I will be unable to convince my families/friends and co-workers to sign up for a class because the only 2 people I know that don't have the card are old stubborn people that refuse to do it :)

Unknown said...

I am a Certified Instructor for CPR, First Aid, and AED.

I teach classes through Emergency First Response. EFR is approved by the AHA, and ILCORE based training, approved by the USGC, and accepted Merchant Mariner Training.

Unknown said...

Yes, I have taken the Red Cross First Aid/CPR course but my card is expired so I am thinking I better get in and renew it!

:p said...

Oh the joy I have in sharing what I do with my friends, family, colleagues and strangers. I think anyone at CRESA would agree about the level of compassion I have. I do have all of my medical certificates and take a refresher every year. I will even go for the extra credit points as I will be teaching an emergency preparedness course and get ready for winter/flooding evening at church. It's going to be awesome. CPR is part of event, but not taught by me. I have always wanted to get my CPR instructor certification, but time has always been a challenge, especially with all the NIMS classes I have to do. Oh yah.. don't forget your NIIMSCAST report!