Monday, April 26, 2010
Glenn Jackson I-205 Joint Repairs Project
Project location and overview
The I-205 Glenn Jackson Bridge Repair project will replace deck joints on the north end of the structure. The Glenn Jackson Bridge is co-owned by the states of Oregon and Washington, with Oregon responsible for maintenance of the structure.
The Glenn Jackson Bridge is a crucial link for commuters, freight and other traffic traveling the coastal corridor. Portland International Airport is located to the south of the bridge. There are approximately 140,000 vehicles a day that travel north and south across the bridge.
ODOT plans to allow the contractor to close two lanes at a time in one direction of the I-205 Glenn Jackson Bridge for up to 20 weekends (10 weekends each are allowed for north and south I-205. The contractor may choose to use fewer weekend lane closures than allowed). The closures will begin at 10 p.m. on Friday and end at 5 a.m. on Monday morning. Motorists should expect delays during these weekend closures.
There also will be nighttime lane closures during weeknights for barrier movement, pavement striping mobilization and other work. Motorists also should expect to see traffic shifts during weeknights and weekends.
Bridge deck joint work near SR 14 in Washington state will require the closure of the ramps connecting I-205 to SR 14 during some weekends and weeknights. During the ramp closures, motorists will be detoured to the SE Mill Plain Boulevard exit and back towards their destination.
Scheduled Weekend two-lane closures
Below is a list of the scheduled weekend two-lane closures on the I-205 Glenn Jackson Bridge. Click here for a pdf version of the list.
**This schedule is subject to change due to weather or other factors. (In addition to the weekend two-lane closures, the contractor will close lanes during weeknights, too.) Motorists should expect congestion during these weekend closures (the I-205 Glenn Jackson Bridge has four lanes in each direction).
1. Friday, April 30, 10 p.m. – Monday, May 3, 5 a.m. – right two lanes closed northbound [traffic control switch, temporary striping].
2. Friday, May 7, 10 p.m. – Monday, May 10, 5 a.m. – right two lanes closed northbound [bridge joint installation].
3. Friday, May 14, 10 p.m. – Monday, May 17, 5 a.m. – right two lanes closed northbound [bridge joint installation].
4. Friday, May 21, 10 p.m. – Monday, May 24, 5 a.m. – right two lanes closed northbound [bridge joint installation].
5. Friday, June 4, 10 p.m. – Monday, June 7, 5 a.m. – alternating left and right two-lane closures northbound (two lanes will always be open northbound) [traffic control switch, permanent striping northbound].