Regardless of whether the weather predictions come fully true for this weekend, this is a good reminder to begin preparing your homes so that you are ready for a true cold snap.
Preparedness activities should include:
- Wrapping your pipes and covering your foundation vents
- Protecting your vulnerable plants through covering or bringing them indoors
- Pay attention to your animals that spend time outside
- Ensuring that your car is ready with chains and a 72-hour kit should you find yourself stranded or stuck
- Dress warmly for the weather (even if you're heading out for a short trip)
In our often mild climate, don't get caught unprepared for the next good winter storm. And remember to consider "who depends on you" as you prepare. With animals, small children or others who need additional assistance, remember they rely on you to be ready!